On 8/3/03 6:11 PM, "Tom Burke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (edited for
length):
> I have a 12" PB with a wifi card. The PB has a static IP address.
> Occasionally I find that when using the ethernet connection the PB is
> no longer able to transmit or receive across the network - no browsing,
> no email, no ping, even to devices within my own local suib-net. This
> happens intermittently, and when it does happen it's only after a while
> - an hour of use? - and some days never.
>
> The network configuration looks OK, but running this command:
>
> 'ipconfig getifaddr en0' in a terminal window gets this response:
>
> 'get if addr en0 failed, (os/kern) failure'
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this? Does anyone have any idea what might be
> causing it?

How is the PB connecting to the network? Are you using an Airport Base
Station or some other type? What kind of signal are you getting? If you are
using an Airport Extreme base station, they sometimes stop, could be
interference from a cordless phone among other things. Sometimes unplugging
the base station, waiting a minute and plugging it back in solves that
problem.

I just tried that terminal command. I've been having a lot of trouble with
my DSL the last week. At this moment, I've lost sync. I got the same
response that you got. I'll try it again once I get sync back.

Meg
--
PowerBook 12-inch
10.2.6