I want to see if anyone can shed some light on the problems I have been
having with my Powerbook:

Powerbook Wallstreet, upgraded with Powerlogix 466, 256 Ram, IBM 20gig hd,
Running system 9.1

Problem: After the system has been shut down overnight, the Powerbook will
have several start up problems including bombs with various errors such as
bus error, illegal instruction, etc. and freezes. It takes several forced
re-starts but it eventually goes through and makes it to the end. Once a
successful start-up is done, it runs all day fine without any problems.

So far, I have re-installed the system software twice (I was running OSX,
but removed it thinking the problem was in there), checked everything that
was possible with Techtool Pro, tried with extensions off, without any
peripherals connected, without battery or cd in bays, zapped the PRAM, all
to no avail. I saw about resetting the Open Firmware command and tried this
also. I was not able to bring up the screen using the key command, using
System Disk utility from Apple, I can check the command manually and hold
the keys down to bring up the screen, but then it will not allow any typing
to give commands (frozen?).

I have seen some feeds referring to the PMU unit as a possible culprit. I
think the back up battery is also history (it is a few years old now), does
anyone have any ideas or had similar problems that can give some insight?
And, is there anyway of checking boards such as the PMU outside of shipping
the system off to a service center?

I appreciate any help, thanks.

Wayne