From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lewin
Edwards
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 7:20 AM
To: G-Books
Subject: Re: Wallstreet Ram Upgrade

> I was not able to go above 256 mb in my Wallstreet (128 in each slot,
> Kingston Memory) with the Powerlogix 466 processor installed, anything

> above
> this gave the window breaking sound and no start-up.
>
> Using the stock card from Apple (233mhz), I was able go higher to 384
> mb.
>
> Is there any trick to this to reach 512 mb and keep the Powerlogix
> card?

Okay... This is all theoretical, but in case nobody else bites: Given
that both cards run the bus at the same speed, and assuming that the
boot ROM is on the processor card (which it usually/always is in Apple
products?) there are two possible reasons why "X" combination of
SODIMMs would work with the Apple card but not the Powerlogix card:

1. ROMs on the Powerlogix card don't recognize the SPD info from your
SODIMMs. (SODIMMs have a small serial EEPROM on them, containing
information describing the speed and layout of the RAM).

2. SODIMM sockets don't have the same address wiring on the Powerlogix
vs. Apple card.

If 2 is true, you're SOL.

If 1 is true, AND the boot ROM in this card is flash memory, you might
be able to fix the situation by getting the latest flash update from
Apple and installing it on the Powerlogix card, then adding your
additional RAM.

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards http://www.zws.com/
Learn how to build high-performance embedded systems on a budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20

 Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com  | Refurbished Drives

 -- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks  |  & CDRWs on Sale!