Greetings,

The yo-yo adaptor on my pismo died today. For the last week or so I've noticed that it's been very particular about sending power to the machine, even when it appeared to be plugged in (at both ends). After some experimentation with a multimeter and checking the specifications for various Apple power adaptors, I've found that the power adaptor for a 1400/cs --- model no. M4896 --- is a (temporary?) solution. The machine is running fine and appears to be charging the battery.

Two questions:

1. Is running off the 1400/cs adaptor a bad idea? I needed to do so for at least long enough to transfer some important files from the pismo to my ipod in case the machine has further problems. Apple's support site says the pismo takes 1.2 (1.3?) amps, but the adaptor that came with it was labelled as giving 1.87 or so amps ... just like the 1400/cs adaptor. The older G3 powerbooks are listed as being compatible with the 1400/cs adaptor, but the G3 (firewire) isn't. So, should I stop using the 1400/cs adaptor immediately?

2. Where might one buy an inexpensive, durable power brick for the pismo. Apple Canada wants $140 for a new yo-yo adaptor, and I don't trust the design of that particular adaptor. I searched the list archives, but I couldn't come up with a search term that worked, even though I'm certain that I've heard this problem mentioned several times.

Email responses would be best if I'm putting my pismo at risk by running on the 1400/cs adaptor, since I'm getting list digests.

Thanks,
  Brian