This is often a sign of a dead or "previously dead" PRAM battery.
Booting into OS9 will correct the problem within the PRAM and allow the
computer to continue to function normally when in OS X.

However if the symptoms return when the computer is disconnected from
AC power and the main battery is removed for only a short time, then
your PRAM battery is dead. Leaving the computer hooked to AC will
recharge the battery in a day's time or so usually, but it is possible
that the battery is wholly dead and will need to be replaced.

-Andrew