I had a similar problem (actually still have) on my Wallstreet regarding the
start-up issue. In my case, I had OSX 10.1, 9.2.2, but after many weeks of
investigation, it was determined that the PMU unit was bad. The force
restarts started a few at first, once the system was up and running, no
other problems happened. At the end, it was taking between 10 - 20 forced
restarts to get it operational.

Instead of getting a new PMU and installing, I opted to get a new Ibook. You
can get PMU's from several companies:

Powerbooktech.com
Powerbookmedic.com
Powerbookguy.com
Pbparts.com
Wegenermedia.com

All sell just about any part for your powerbook and also have a flat repair
rate from $50 to $100 plus parts if you want to send the unit in.

Wayne Schneck