Anyone, anyone? Nope, it's not in the manual, Apple only describes that
module's replacement. Interestingly the 12" manual _does_ describe
display disassembly though sadly that module is completely different than
the early TiBook's.

My story: I bought a 550 with a messed-up display, the LCD appears to be
intact though its functionality has yet to be determined. Also I just
bought a 400 with a cracked LCD which appears to be otherwise intact. My
"PLAN" is to use the ?good? LCD and the ?good? display case parts to
create one good display. I have the service manuals for both models but
those only reference display repairs as module replacement.

My questions: Can anyone tell me if I'm tackling the impossible, or _if_
possible help with some hints, tips, pointers or even just greatly
appreciated words of encouragement? Are there any web sites detailing any
of this? I googled for hours but found little, mostly grumbles about how
Apple has done the world a disservice with their crummy product design.

What I did find was slim: 1) an Icelandic fellow's half-hearted attempt
to fix with some bits of Al sheet and epoxy. NOT really what I had in
mind and I understand it didn't hold up for too long anyhow - and 2) a
guy who worked for a special effects company who fabbed
replacement/reinforcing parts from Al stock. That second sounded pretty
interesting but I could find no further details.

As for the actual disassembly I found nothing. Dangit! I _know_ somebody
out there has done this but they are sure keeping their secrets well.
Anyway, here's what I see based on the bits I've already got:

The back (outer) panel is made of Ti and I'm pretty sure the face (inner)
is Al. The face is attached to the LCD's face with adhesive. It's not a
thermally set adhesive but heat did seem soften it a bit. I used a hair
dryer to heat the face while I peeled it off the LCD, but it got pretty
bent up in the process. It appears to have no structural role based on
what I see, I _think_ one could use an otherwise-complete display without
it. BTW I was very careful to not heat the LCD, just the face piece.

The rear section consists of the panel itself, a pair of (ABS?) plastic
spacers around each top corner of the LCD, and below which the hinge
supports must wrap around each lower corner of the LCD. Is there some
sort of filler section on the lower side of the LCD? I haven't got that
part sadly. The plastic spacers and the hinge supports apparently are
attached to the rear panel with a medium gray colored adhesive. It
appears to be thermally sensitive but is probably not a thermal type
glue. This same type of adhesive is used in the bottom section of the PB
as well, in areas such as the join between the sides and top as sort of a
fillet.

I think the two halves (LCD/face and backpanel/hinges) are joined with 4
screws, two on each side of the display. They _may_ also be held together
with a heatset adhesive, at least I found traces of a clear thermal glue
in a couple of spots, though that could have been put there as part of a
previous repair attempt.

Unless I can find some really useful info out there, I'm thinking I'm
gonna end up creating a new web page on this topic . . .

Many TsIA,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700