Have you tried resetting the power manager? Sometimes this works. Unplug the AC adapter, pull the battery, and depress the reset button at the hinge on the right side.

Gary

Charlie Meyerson wrote:
A puzzle:

iBook SE (Graphite clamshell) battery is relatively new (less than six
months) and as recently as last week was holding a charge for at least an
hour. Suddenly -- last day or so -- it doesn't take any charge at all.

New AC adapter, too, and the charge light (where the AC plugs into the
iBook) is constantly green. But the battery remains at 0% and the computer
goes dead the instant we unplug the AC.

iBook FW Battery Update software (booted in System 9, even though we
normally use OS X) tells me that it is not required for this computer.

Suggestions?

Thanks and best wishes,

Charlie Meyerson