Bruce Mitchell wrote:
I have a 20GB HD on a 333 Lombard and would like to install OSX,
but have been told by experts that OSX would run painfully slow,
much slower than 9.2, so I've given up on that idea. OSX on my
desktop G3 B&W upgraded to G4 works like a dream, no problems
at all, I love it.

Reply from Tom Meade:
I'll have to agree with Laurent's wisdom - you have to experience
it despite all the advice. For the brief time X ran on the Lombard
(333) it was fine. I run it on a 266 beige too and don't see it as
too slow considering it's a (Jan. '98) model friend. Oh, and add
swapping RAM and trying to install on the original 4GB drive to
the list of impossibilities - maybe it was too small?

>From all helpful responses, I admit I'm tempted to try another drive -
but the guys at MCE told me they'd the same X problem with their
Lombo and it assuredly isn't the drive. (Hmmm - they were my drive
source - maybe it's their PB drive that's the problem). Any other drive
suggestions? This is a $ gamble so I'd appreciate very low cost options.
Otherwise maybe should just resign myself to 9.
Thanks very much, all.
Tom Meade