On 10/11/03 5:44 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My main question is this:

> Apart from backing up all my data ( I have a firewire cd burner - any
> advice welcomed ) what would be your recommendations for installing the
> new OS - a complete reinstall and clean my hard drive,  or just install
> on top of what I am currently running?

Every computer I upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2 I did simply by installing over
10.1 and I had no failures. Still, it would be prudent to back up your data.

> As an aside the laptop came with an Airport card (bonus!) but can this
> be used with a non-apple base station? I would need a dial up modem
> though as no adsl in rural UK so any recommendations would be useful.

Any 802.11b or g base station will work though not all bridge AppleTalk.
This is only an issue if you want to have a wireless home network and have
an AppleTalk printer. I've dealt mostly with Ethernet WiFi - the only
experience I've had with a modem base station is Apple's.

> One final question(!) would you recommend installing Panther on my
> aging iMac ( 266mhz, 6gb hard drive and 384 mb ram ) rather than 9.2.2.
> Used mainly for business email and word processing so a shortage of
> hard drive room not a problem.

When I was testing OS X for school I put 10.1 and later 10.2 on a bondi blue
iMac. Compared to OS 9 it was S L O W but quite usable. Today my slowest
iMac is the blueberry model and it is quite acceptable with Jaguar - though
I certainly prefer my G4 machines.

The terrible thing about terrorism is that ultimately it destroys those who
practise it. Slowly but surely, as they try to extinguish life in others,
the light within them dies.

Terry Waite