Apart from backing up all my data ( I have a firewire cd burner - any
advice welcomed ) what would be your recommendations for installing the
new OS - a complete reinstall and clean my hard drive,  or just install
on top of what I am currently running?

I for one will not be installing 10.3 on top of 10.2 ("Upgrade installation"). Hopefully, there will be an Archive and Install option.

When I upgraded from 10.1.5 to Jaguar, I used the Upgrade installation. The first bad omen was that some of Jaguar's features had not been installed, e. g. the "Forward" button in Jag's finder windows did not appear. Then things got very squirrelly--Internet Connect didn't work unless it was quit and relaunched, and sometimes the machine would not wake from sleep without a restart.

I then erased the partition on which OS X resides and installed Jaguar. All the correct Finder features appeared but the other problems persisted.

Apple Tech Support suggested resetting the Open Firmware and this corrected the problems.

Herb Goodfriend