HI Gang,

I've thoroughly searched MAC help (heretofore unthinkable!) and can find no
complement to OS 9's ability to assign function keys a task to perform,
quickly and easily through a control panel... I had all of the function keys
assigned to open my most used apps.. I can't find any way to do the same in
OS 10.

You could have a look at PearScriptKeys. It is freeware and claims to be able to assign just about any task to the keys you define. I haven't used it much, but I just tried and could in a very trivial way assign Command-F5 to start iTunes (tough, unfortunately, not the F5 key by itself). On the other hand, one can not only start an application, but do whatever other task one can script (some examples in this program are to have iTunes change to the next track and things like that). The possibilities are endless.

Take a look at http://www.pearworks.com

Luis