On Oct 22, 2003, at 4:35 PM, Wiebe Wilbers wrote:

Slower memory, slower processor, slower bus, graphics system not as good,
superdrive not an option. I'm not sure it is that difficult a question. I
suspect the faster iBooks will have about the same performance as the first
generation 12 inch PowerBook. That is a mixed bag at best.

david

The Bus is the same speed (Compared to 12" PB) and you can get them at the
same processor speed, but other than that, I agree with you. It's a shame
they demoted the 12" iBook to the bottom rung - it used to be you could get
the 12" in speeds up to the top available (900Mhz) or the 14". I like the
size of the 12" more than that of the 14". Ahh well, can't please them all I
suppose...

True, that would be nice, but think about it this way, what originally came out at ~1700$ is now 1100$. These now make excellent economy mobile machines for developers like myself who want a chip with Altivec for development reasons, but don't want to spend an extra grand just for the ability to do so. The fact that I can grab a 800Mhz G4 machine in good shape for under 1000$ as a student for laptop use is amazing. I might just sell the Lombard I just got in awhile after I raise up some money for one! :)