Nah, it just means you are using some fairly new CD-R media.

My Lombard does the same thing, but only with more recently produced media, along with my 8600. If you take a look at the newer media, it is translucent when looked at from the data side. That combined with the cheaper dyes being used in the data layer make it harder for older drives to read them.

Best solution to something like this is buy a bare CD-RW or Combo drive (you can find some decent, but pricey ones on eBay) and replace the drive in your caddy. These drives are designed to not spin up to high speeds like that, and will read any disc you throw at it much more easily. Plus you get burning ability in your Pismo.