On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:33:12PM -0700, Jim Scolman wrote:
:
: Hello, in the beginning the Internet promised instant and widespread
: publishing to everyman.  This was to be the revolution that was to give
: voice to anyone who wanted to publish.  But now, to mix my metaphors, if a
: thought is published on the Internet and no one can find it to read it, does
: it make a noise?  I know about meta tags and page optimization, and search
: bots.  I have done searches for topics in my field and copied the meta tags
: from the pages that float to the top, into my pages and still my pages do
: not appear in search results.  I have registered my pages with search
: engines, knowing there is no promise of service.  In reality and jest
: threats are made to "Put that on the internet!!"  If there were a leaked
: memo from Rumsfeld, a hot picture of Ms Spears, or the notice of a meeting,
: how would it be "posted to the Internet".  Any of these bit of information
: and countless more can and are posted everyday......but who knows about
: them, how does one find them, if no one sees them they do not exist!  I give
: notice of my web pages via eMail to those whom I hope will be
: interested.....but this is hardly instant worldwide publication.  This is
: not sour grapes and I do not have a solution...this is what I think is the
: "Myth of the Internet".  Sincerely, Jim Scolman

Using the Internet to deliver "instant worldwide publication" does not
guarantee that your stuff will be the cover story of every newspaper or
the headline of every news channel.  You still have to do your part to
get the word out.  That's what marketing and PR departments are about.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene at anime dot net