On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 01:26 AM, Tom Burke wrote:

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 05:39 am, G-Books wrote:

on 10/29/03 7:33 AM, Tom Burke at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I think they close the gap a great deal. Last Christmas my wife was
looking for a Mac and bought a used Pismo rather than an iBook; for her
the attraction of the Pismo was the DVD player. And again this summer I
bought a 12" Powerbook rather than an iBook for much the same reason

Tom, what are you talking about? iBooks have had DVD playback option for
years...

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to the entry level 12" iBook, which until this upgrade just had a CD drive, plus of course a G3. That was what my wife was looking at, and abouit 11 months ago a used Pismo looked like a better deal - 14" screen, DVD player, etc, etc, for rather less money. With the latest upgrade the entry level iBook has come on a long way - G4, Combo-drive, 30 Gb disk, etc. I was just wondering if the differences in spec between the entry-level 12" iBook and the entry-level 12" Powerbook are worth the considerable difference in cost?

Powerbook: 1 Ghz CPU; extra video capability (non-mirrored monitor at different resolution); digital video out; 40 Gb HDD; umm - anything else?
iBook: 800 Mhz CPU; mirrored-video only; analogue output only; 30 Gb drive (as standard, 40 Gb available as 'build-to-order').

Pretty much everything else is much the same, as far as I can see.

I would have to argue that the Powerbook 12" is still a great option to have. I briefly had an 867mHz Powerbook G4 (12") and the difference between that and the new 1gHz model is HUGE. It is significant;y faster (the difference between 256k and 512k cache is quite noticeable).

The new iBook G4 is much closer in horsepower to the old 867 than the new 1gHz 12" Powerbook.

I upgraded from an 800mHz TiBook, and the 867mHz 12" Powerbook seemed slower overall than the TiBook. The new 1gHz version is much faster. I couldn't run VPC very well on the TiBook, but it runs great on the new 12" Powerbook.

Just my $0.02.

-Hal