on 08/11/03 12:19, tivo at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My iBook (OSX, 900 mhz, 640 RAM) was purchased the past June. About a month
> ago I began experiencing infrequent, "Word unexpectedly quit, other programs
> are unaffected." Word is from Office X.
>
> Last night the quit occurred with iTunes. I restarted the machine anew.
> Earlier I experienced a first-time-ever total freeze of the machine with the
> box message to press the power button to restart. Doing so didn't help;
> everything remained completely paralyzed.
>
> I unplugged from AC and then removed the battery in order to get the
> computer to shut off. After reinstalling the battery I was able to reboot
> the machine and plug into AC.
>
> Everything is working okay this morning, but it's obvious that something is
> going on that I expect will occur again. I have not installed the iTunes 4.1
> update because it didn't seem to have features I used; could this
> installation be an issue?
>
> I don't have any added utility programs. What would be the best choice for
> such a program? And does this sound like something a utility program would
> rectify? I have Applecare, but this seems more of a software-plus issue?
>
> Sure would appreciate some feedback, guidance, and suggestions.
>

> Thanks for you attention, Tivo

Try to repair permissions on the startup disk?

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

gib /jib/: 1. vi. To destroy utterly. Like frag, but much more violent and
final. "There's no trace left. You definitely gibbed that bug". 2. n.
Remnants after total obliteration. Originated first by id software in the
game Quake. It's short for giblets (thus pronounced "jib"), and referred to
the bloody remains of slain opponents. Eventually the word was verbed, and
leaked into general usage afterward.