On Nov 10, 2003, at 6:55 PM, G-Books wrote:

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:07:49 -0800 (PST)
From: jacque greenleaf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Airport and Digitizing Music

snip

2) I want to digitize a lot of LPs and tapes. This is
all totally new to me - I understand that the limiting
factor in getting as much of the original sound
information into my computer is the quality of the
sound card. Is the iBook's sound card adequate for
top-quality ripping, or should I look at one of the
external gadgets available?

THanks in advance.

I've also been recording my LP's to digital. I started with a Lombard, now I use my TiBook with a Griffin iMic attatched to the USB (no mic input on this model). The sound quality seems fine, I can hear every pop and scratch when I burn them onto CD's. To edit I've been using SoundStudio, you can try it out for 14 days free. This allows you to split the tracks into individual songs, and also to repair the other noises. Actually, I've been surprised at how many little scratches I can hear on the CD as opposed to listening to the LP when it was being recorded. I had to completely rework London Calling after the first time I listened to it in my truck CD player, although I thought it sounded good originally. I would recommend using headphones to do the editing, since the computer speakers don't put out as much noise.
http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

---
JSH
TiBook