Damn it!!! I KNEW I should have kept my mouth shut!!! After asking about a panic, I experienced one for the first time ever yesterday after my son installed NetBarrier on the imac se 400 (10.3-1gig ram- 60 gig Maxtor hd). Got the screen with the restart message and was only able to get it restarted in firewire target mode from the trusty pismo 400.(10.3-1gig ram-12 gig (?) hd) It would start up and get part way through then lock up. He was able to remove NB successfully that way andall seems to be ok now. The question now is what should I do to check for any potential problems on the imac? I ran DiskWarrior 3.0 last night and it found some problems that it fixed. Is there anything else that I need to do in this case? Asking this for precautionary info in case it happens again on either machine.
Thanks to all who responded to my initial info request..
Regards,
Mike K

Paul Nicholson wrote:

The UNIX world's Kernel Panic is a subordinate to Microsoft's General Protection Fault. When it comes to crashing, Microsoft pulls rank.

Really though, a kernel panic is the result of the kernel detecting a fatal error and going into a state where it tries to display some debugging information regarding the problem. Normal operation is suspended, as the integrity of the system has likely been severely compromised by the problem.

Paul