on 13/11/03 17:50, Acting Fire Chief at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I powered up and the usual login screen appeared. I tried to move the
> cursor,
>> but it wouldn't move, so I CTRL+Option+Power buttoned the MAC... Force
>> restart .. The blue OS X screen appeared and so did the rotating Icon, but
>> it stopped. It locked up. I tried to force reboot again, but this time
>> nothing. I pressed the CAPS LOCK KEY and it lighted up. Same for the
>> NUMBERS LOCK KEY. I unplugged the AC, removed the battery from the left bay
>> it and tried again. No MAC power up sound and just a black screen.
>>
>> SO ... I unplugged it, removed the bay battery and removed the keyboard. I
>> took out the HDD. I disconnected the HDD from the carriage all and
>> reconnected and tried again. No Luck.
>>
>> SO... I replaced the HDD, a 30 GIG with the original 6 GIG running OS 9.1.
>> Success. It powered up, but it crashed.
>>
>> I powered up again and reset the PRAM. Rebooting 4 times.
>>
>> It powered up, but locked up again. I rebooted, but this time, no screen,
>> just black.
>>
>> Lombard G3 400 320MB Ram (256 and a 64)
>>
>> I just tried again after leaving it turned off for about 15 mins.
>>
>> First Aid ran. The DONE button appeared, but it crashed.
>>
>> That was yesterday.
>>
>> Twenty four hours later ... It powered up and was working until I inserted
>> an expansion bay HDD (VST), it crashed and would not reboot.
>>
>> I was told that PRAM Battery was the culprit. However when it did reboot
>> the clock and the date were correct.
>>
>> On my PM 7600/G3 I have to reset the clock every time I boot up because I
>> keep the power off as I hardly use this computer. That's the PRAM Battery
>> that is causing the clock to fail, right? But still the computer works well
>> and I can boot up. (Knock on wood).
>>
>> What do you think?

That sounds like a bad seated processor daughtercard or a loose RAM chip.
Did you try to re-seat those?

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

code police n.: [by analogy with George Orwell's `thought police'] A
mythical team of Gestapo-like storm troopers that might burst into one's
office and arrest one for violating programming style rules. May be used
either seriously, to underline a claim that a particular style violation is
dangerous, or ironically, to suggest that the practice under discussion is
condemned mainly by anal-retentive weenies. "Dike out that goto or the code
police will get you!" The ironic usage is perhaps more common.