20031121
Have just set up a little three computer network in the house... picked up a D-Link router and a ton of cable. Although nothing was easy (except running cable) in the set up, i got it working. Found that the G3 Lombard was losing the connection every few minutes and nothing i would do seemed to reconnect other then rebooting (and sometimes that didn't work).... All my settings were right, etc etc... As a last resort i put a tiny bit of pressure on the ethernet cable plug at the rear of the machine... That was the problem... the connection could be moved and my router lights would come on and go off....A tiny cardboard shim seems to help, but still lose the connection once and awhile... Is having the actual port replaced a huge job ? Or is this anything anyone has run into?

gordon
-----

Gordon, I do my own ethernet terminations (rj-11/14/45) with the fancy tools, etc, and every once in a while I will make a bad one. My guess is to check the male plug(s) before you conclude the female port is bad. Use known trouble free cables, etc, to see if you are only having trouble with the one cable & rj-45 plug. Definitely cheaper to fix than the Mac's port.

Gently wiggle the wire independently of the male plug if you can--might reveal the wire connection as the problem more readily.

If the plug is actually loose, well....

HTH

Jim

--