On 12/2/03 6:37 PM, "Jim Scolman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello  I am the very happy owner of a 400 Mhz Pismo, with 256MB RAM and the
> 6 GIG HD, that is about half full.  I am currently using OS 9.2.2, and am
> happy with it.  But, I am thinking of OS X.  I have access to a copy of OS X
> that came on a 500 Mhz iMac, an early one.  How do you think that would run
> on my Pismo?  I know I need more RAM, but it is not happening just now.  Is
> there room on my HD for OS X and still have space to work?  How far can I
> upgrade/update before I run into a fee?, that is how many free updates for
> OS X are there on the Apple web site?  I want to use the OS X eMail and
> browser apps, as well as use the apps I use know, which are Photoshop v6.x,
> MS Office, Appleworks, etc.  Keep up the good work.  Thanks, Jim Scolman.

First, although the Pismo is a great Mac OS X machine (I myself am typing
this under 10.3.1 on a Pismo 400), you don't have enough hard drive space
and/or memory to make it truly a pleasant experience.

On the low-end Pismo, I don't recommend anything less than 384 MB memory.
Also consider that Mac OS X will eat up about another 1 GB of your hard
drive space. Plus, all the new Mac OS X-native software will eat up more
space. Upgrade the drive to at least 10 GB, if not more, if you can.

You also don't mention the exact version of Mac OS X you have. If it is
anything earlier than Mac OS X 10.2, I would reconsider. Mac OS X 10.1.5 and
below were much more of a dog of an OS, especially on this hardware. Mac OS
X 10.2 can be purchased fairly cheaply now (Other World Computer usually has
good deals on older OS's).

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Scott
--
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."
-Calvin