Clark wrote:
I'm not sure about the Firewire part but I have had experience with
the USB cards.  OS 9 includes drivers for USB cards but they aren't
installed unless the card is present during installation.

I am not sure that what Clark says is true in all cases, but I do know, that if you want to use a network USB printer set up on another computer, you must download the USB Printer sharing extension from Apple Tech support because there is no way to get the installer to put it in a machine with no USB port.