I have an IceBook 500 that probably needs to be repaired at a cost of around $300US. Would you
repair or simply sell for scrap and purchase a new IceBook?

A: Gee, I have a powerbook 180, wallstreet, lombard, and 550 ti-book. They are all turned on right now. Although refurb'ed ibook's are going really cheap at the Apple store right now, they aren't going for $300.
It would be easier to answer if you told us what was wrong so we could all give you advice on how to fix it. I just resoldered my/my daughter's charge plug for free---if you view my time as having no value.

Well, it is a backlighting problem. It boots up and one can see it on an external monitor, but the LCD panel's backlighting is not working. I have put larger HD's in TiBooks (not fun, BTW), however, am not sure on this one. Apple wants $300 minimum to do the honors and I am on the fence whether I will be throwing good money after bad (longevity of the machine) ... however have thought about using it as a test case for YDL or Gentoo.

-Bob-

Bob Angell
1238 Fenway Avenue, SLC, UT 84102-3212
v: 801.583.8544; cell/sms: 801.824.7343
email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Had Momma Cass & Karen Carpenter shared that ham sandwich, they might be with us today!"