When my wallstreet was new (owned by a relative at the time) it developed
strange power related problems. I honestly don't remember the symptoms, but
after several attempts at diagnosis by the apple dealer that sold it, they
finally discovered that the plug on the power cord was touching some metal
(from a heat shield they said) and shorting out. Sometimes it would not
touch and it worked fine, other times it wouldn't, particularly if being
used on a lap where it gets moved a bit from time to time. They were able
to bend the metal to clear the plug and it worked fine.

It's a long shot, but since moving your power cord can cause your problem
to come and go, perhaps you should have a close look in this area to make
sure that nothing is interfering with the plug connection within the case.

>> Maybe not. The power supply connection comes loose from the circuit
>> board on Wallstreets and may need to be resoldered. It happened to me.
>> Just resolder the connector.
>

> I thought the power supply came through the sound board- which I just
>replaced.

There are several other power cards, including the Power Management Unit
under the palm rest. My wallstreet is currently not completing the start up
cycle. One of the possible causes was the PMU. I bought a used/tested PMU
to try, but it didn't solve the problem, much like your sound card. My
problem is probably logic board or processor related, but the sound card is
another possible cause.

Too bad your problem doesn't sound like the pmu, or we could swap the cards
that are of no use to us with a little cash added on my end to make up for
the difference in purchase price. :)