----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey Loeffler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "G-Books" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 5:28 AM
Subject: Pismo Experiment

> Some questions, first I have added airport cards, ram,  HDs, upgrade
> cards keyboards to pismos and other computers, so just enough
> experience to really make a mess, so I ask. As I go through the
> steamy jungle of DON'T touch that gizmo on your Pismo, thought I
> would ask for some help, ideas, or whatever
>
> I have a complete lower half of a Pismo less the processor. I have
> another Pismo that was reported as the MB being dead
>
> 1. If I place the processor from the damaged Pismo into the new
> Pismo, to see if the processor is alive or not, will this, if the
> processor is bad, damage the mother board of the new Pismo (within
> reasonable risk parameters-say a moon shot). I have a stick of good
> ram that I can fit in the processor.

Within reason it shouldn't hurt the MB. Just make sure the daughtercard has
no visable scorching or heat damage and the heat sink is in place.

> 2  Can I run the Pismo without the lap top screen connected and just
> connect it to an external monitor that I have via the external
> monitor port.  Again just for test purposes. This will probably leave
> some connector unconnected. Is this with out danger.

Should work, make sure loose cables are not touching anything.

> 3. Will testing the ram from the bad Pismo possibly hurt the new
> Pismo, not sure if the ram 1 Gig is good or not.

Testing Ram shouldn't hurt the processor.

> 4. Anyone have a good site that describes removing and adding a
> screen to the Pismo, I have some photos but not real descriptive. I
> will have to remove the old screen from the defective Pismo and put
> it on the new lower half. This does not require replacing the
> plastics around the screen, just unhooking the cable, getting at the
> hinges and removing the old and adding it to the new, Now if I knew
> how to do that.

I have the complete tear down and rebuild guide in PDF form. Large file
contact me off list if you want it.

> I have a volt meter have never really used one, but open to
> ideas, as long as at least the plastics will live.
>
> Well thanks for any help.
> Geoff

You probably won't need the voltmeter.

Joe Ellis