I recently went through this problem with a hard drive and went to my local
hobby shop with a kitchen magnet and a paper clip. The metal that I found to
be the most effective magnetic shield was tin. Brass has been recommended on
a site but it did not work for me and the magnet was able to easily hold the
paperclip through the brass.

In doing some research into finding a good magnetic shield if found that the
magnetic field cannot be blocked per se but needs to be diverted. The tin I
found worked in this way. Although the magnet would actually grab and hold
onto the tin it was not able to grab the paperclip through the tin. I found
that to be an interesting tidbit.

Andre