Greenfield,

As to your CD drive, you need OS 8.6 at a minimum (the one delivered with the 'bronze' PowerBooks), which could explain your failure to boot from the 8.5 CD. You really need to find a generic (retail) OS-install CD, as the system from your 7300 will be missing pieces your PowerBook needs to operate correctly, and may explain the slow performance and question-mark on booting you're experiencing.

As to the CUDA switch, on the PowerBook, you instead reset the Power Manager circuitry, by pressing the reset button on the back of the unit (small button under the IO door). Wait five seconds and press the Power key.

If using the correct system CD doesn't fix your problems, then your HD may also be either marginal or deceased. Once you've got the appropriate CD, you can attempt to wipe the HD and reinstall a new system. Worst case scenario would have you replacing the drive - a simple procedure on a Lombard, but maybe you can get a partial refund of your purchase price if this is the case.

Good luck, let us know how you fare with this.

Rick

I'm hoping one of you Powerbook gurus might be able to help me get my Powerbook to boot up.

I recently purchased a PowerBook G3 on eBay (Lombard/G3/333/OS9.0/192Mb/4Gb/)

It arrived on Christmas eve (perfect!) The 9.0 system installed on it booted ok, but was very s - l - o - w ! Years ago I had a Mac Powerbook 160, so I used a SCSI cable I still had (with the square 30-pin connector) and connected the Powerbook in "slave mode" to my PowerMac 7300, and installed Mac OS 8.5 from a CD-ROM disc, using the 7300's CD-ROM drive. Everything seemed to install successfully -- I intended to then update the system to 8.6, using the PowerBook itself to do the updating. But unfortunately, ever since then, when I try to re-boot, I get the blinking question mark; apparently, it cannot find the 8.5 installed system.

I now regret that when I had it in slave mode, I didn't switch the startup disk to the PowerBook itself and iron out any difficulties from my PowerMac 7300, because I have also been unable to to connect the PowerBook in slave mode again. That SCSI cable I used the first time is quite tricky to get its square end connected to the Powerbook -- true enough, but something else now seems to prevent the slave mode connecting, and I don't know what it is. I've zapped the PRAM, held down the "C" key to try to get it to start up with my 8.5 system disc, but nothing seems to qork.

I wonder if perhaps the original CD that came with this Powerbook might work -- but then again, the CD player doesn't boot the Mac OS 8.5 dis either, so would any other CD-ROM disk be any different?

I wonder if somewhere inside this Powerbook is a cuda button, similar to the PowerMacs.

Despite being an experienced 20-year Mac user, I'm so far unable to get my Christmas present to boot up. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Greenfield Bowie

-- Rick Smykla [EMAIL PROTECTED]