Hmmm, my experience has been that a classic system disk would boot pretty much any supported Macintosh regardless of how the install was done. But maybe there's a file the your G3 needs that it didn't get when the install was done on the 7300.

Anyway, ditch classic and install OS X on it. I have OS X running on my old PBG3 WallStreet 266 which I sent off to college with my son. It runs well on the G3/266 machine. I think your Lombard has built in USB, so you should be able to run Panther. Non USB PB G3s are limited to 10.2.

Paul