Hi all,
        Just a question about a clamshell ibooks HDD. I am looking to
upgrade the pitifully small 3.2GB hdd to a 20GB, could somebody tell me
the type of drive I would need.
David.
PS Also, is there a way to bypass the 320mb memory limit?

Here's a start

http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/02/10/22/index.html

but I can't find the step by step illustrated site that used to be out there.

Google turned up this on the Small Dog website:

iBook Owners: The hard drive in the iBook is not end-user, or even dealer/service center, upgradeable. Just accessing the hard drive bay is a job involving the removal of over two-dozen screws, hex-nuts, plastic parts, and very small, sensitive, electronic components. If the proper level of anti-static protection is not maintained and the take-apart procedure not properly documented then a successful upgrade is nearly impossible. This being the case, installation instructions are not included for the iBook in the MCE PowerBook Hard Drive Installation Kit.

MCE used to offer a service to American customers to replace it by sending it to them, but it was fairly pricey (ie more than the iBook is now worth) and may no longer be available.

I toyed and toyed with the idea of doing this because I love my original iBook, but want to install OSX on it and that takes up all 3 gig of the hard drive. I also want to burn CD's and that makes too much of a jump in technology for it to be worthwhile INMHO.

Good luck and keep me posted.

-- Terry McCune