The computer I am typing on that I recently bought is a iBook G4 800MH=
12" and I can't seem to be able to mirror or even use an external monitor
with the included adapter. Does anybody know how to get the external
monitor to function on the iBook?

(Moving On....) =20

From what I have read, the iBook and the PowerBook 12" are almost the
same; they both use the same LCD screen, have basically the same bus and
processor speed (that is, if you are talking about the G4 iBook), and, I
believe, they have the same monitor output. The main advantages are the
SuperDrive, size and weight, and the stylish case design. The iBook G4 tha=
I have is very small, and it even fits in a PowerBook Duo carry case! Also=
,
unless the 15" monitor you are talking about has capabilities of 1024x768
resolution or better, it will not be any advantage over the built-in LCD
screen, as the iBook and PowerBook 12" both have max resolutions of
1024x768. I actually prefer the LCD over a CRT.

--=20
Andrew
=95 A Mac Freak =95

Andrew

I don't have the 12" iBook but I do have the 12" Powebook which is very nearly the same as the G4 iBook - it has the same mini-VGA video output. And I just connected a VGA lead to the VGA-to-minVGA adapter, plugged one end into the back of the monitor, the other end into the Powerbook, and hey presto there was video output. That really is how it ought to work.

Have you opened Displays when the external monitor is connected?

Assuming the monitor itself is OK and able to accept the frequency output by the iBook (which is nothing extreme) there are a couple of things to check: a) the VGA lead. Do you have any other computers that you can use with the external monitor and this cable to prove that the cable and the monitor are working? b) do you have access to any other VGA-to-miniVGA adapters?

Assuming the VGA lead is OK, the fault must lie with either the iBook miniVGA output slot, or the VGA-to-miniVGA adapter.

Tom Burke