On 1/2/04 8:09 AM, "Tom Burke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Andrew
>
> I don't have the 12" iBook but I do have the 12" Powebook which is very
> nearly the same as the G4 iBook - it has the same mini-VGA video
> output. And I just connected a VGA lead to the VGA-to-minVGA adapter,
> plugged one end into the back of the monitor, the other end into the
> Powerbook, and hey presto there was video output. That really is how it
> ought to work.
>
> Have you opened Displays when the external monitor is connected?
Yes, and nothing different appears, as if the adapter is not recognized.

> Assuming the monitor itself is OK and able to accept the frequency
> output by the iBook (which is nothing extreme) there are a couple of
> things to check: a) the VGA lead. Do you have any other computers that
> you can use with the external monitor and this cable to prove that the
> cable and the monitor are working?
Yes, I have a Dell 17" monitor with the PC-standard VGA cable.  I have used
it on all sorts of Macs with the VGA to DB15 (Mac video) adapter.  Works
just fine on other machines.
> b) do you have access to any other
> VGA-to-miniVGA adapters?
No.  I am the only one in the house with an iBook (My dad has a 15"
Powerbook G4 but that uses the DVI to Analog dongle)

> Assuming the VGA lead is OK, the fault must lie with either the iBook
> miniVGA output slot, or the VGA-to-miniVGA adapter.
>
> Tom Burke

This is odd, as I just purchased the iBook about 2 months ago, with no other
problems otherwise.  I will try again tonight.

--
Andrew
• A Mac Freak •