Gary,

Thanks for your help. It turns out that I was too eager to push buttons. For general information, the sequence is as follows:

1. Attach the firewire drive
2. Reboot holding down the option key
3. Wait while the drive options are found and displayed and (for me) there is about a 30 second period of the watch icon.
4. When you get a pointer, click on the drive desired
5. Then click on the right arrow to boot the selected drive

Clicking on the circle arrow rescans for drives.

With the enhanced security of Panther, particularly FileVault and now with a working bootable copy of my drive, I can go out in the world with my laptop more comfortably.

John