On Jan 8, 2004, at 2:57 PM, Paul Nicholson wrote:

On Jan 8, 2004, at 9:16 AM, Harry D. Corsover wrote:

Well, despite my habit of touching an anti-static mat before touching my new 15" PowerBook, my arm sometimes grazes the edge of the PB before I reach the mat. I feel a very slight tingle, but haven't noticed anything that I can trace back to that.

If you are feeling a continuous tingle the problem is leakage current in the power supply. Because of capacitance that exists between the otherwise isolated AC to DC line power supply, a small amount of the AC line voltage leaks into the DC output. In a desktop computer this current is conducted to ground by the ground wire on the AC cord, but on a laptop there is no ground wire.

When I go running and come home and use my powerbook at the kitchen table with my feet in sweaty socks on a ceramic tile floor, my body provides the path for this leakage current to get to ground. The left edge of my tiBook frame has lost its paint because of abrasion from my watch band. When skin brushes up against bare metal, a slight tingle can be felt.

Anodization is non-conductive, so an AlBook without scratches should not tingle your skin if your body is grounded.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

I don't get a continuous tingle, just a slight momentary one that tells me that I've just discharged some static electricity via the PowerBook. Once that happens, there's no further discharge or tingle. Having been used to the old clamshell iBook, the aluminum PowerBook is a new experience (in a variety of ways).

Harry

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
        CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
        Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
           <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> * 877-507-9562