Yesterday, I wrote:
Kochkodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
VERRRY INTERESTING!!!!  FYI...
The Mac Channel

    IBM claims massive power cut for 90nm G5
    Good news for AMD - but not Intel

"The 970FX, meanwhile, consumes a mere 12.3W at 1.4GHz, paving the way for PowerBook G5s. That figure is comparable to the 7.5W a 1GHz consumption of the G4-class Motorola MPC7447 that drives the current PowerBook G4s."

Ok, what I want to know is this: How much faster, roughly, is a G5, compared to a G3?

Well, I suppose I've found as good an answer to my question as I'm likely to get, in a Macworld article last year:
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/reviews/macworldlabfirstg5testresults/ >
That article compares Power Macintosh units: the G5/2GHz dual, the G5/1.8GHz single, the G5/1.6GHz single, the G4/1.4GHz dual, and the G4/1GHz single. As we know, without optimized software, a G4 is only slightly faster than a G3. Comparing the single 1.6GHz G5 to the single 1.0GHz G4, and after correcting for the difference in gigahertz, I'm VERY disappointed. The "speedmark" benchmark software actually rates the G4 as faster. With the iTunes, Quake, and Photoshop tests shown, the G4 and G5 are virtually equivalent. Therefore, I really don't expect any noticeable differences between G3 and G5, without optimized software. The biggest difference will lay in the processor speed. So far as I'm concerned, the "megahertz myth" has become reality in the gigahertz world--all that matters is the processor speed and the optimization of your software. I'll take a G3 at 3GHz upgrade for my Pismo, please. Certainly it will be faster and cheaper than any G5 laptop at 2GHz.

As an aside, the Macworld article makes a comparison of these units doing MPEG-2 encoding; with results that are at once encouraging and discouraging. The good news is that the dual 2GHz G5 can do the encoding at roughly real-time. All but the 1GHz G4 can do the encoding in under 2:1 time. The bad news is that this uses the "compressor" application that's part of Apple's $500 DVD Studio Pro, and which is optimized for G5, and in "fast" mode. Apple's own documentation shows a graph where "high quality" encoding takes 3x longer than "fast". So even with G5s, I'm looking at a 3:1 to 5:1 time expansion for encoding. That surely beats the 25:1 time expansion I was faced with a couple years ago, but I think it's not quite good enough.

C'mon, Apple, give us some quadruple processors at higher speed!

--Jim.