On 1/29/04 11:00 PM, "David M. Ensteness" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First, Apple never said anything about the problem publicly, that
> includes a denial, so they never lied about it.

<http://www.blackcider.com>

And

<http://www.searchrochester.com/blackcider/media/iRate.wav>

Still hold that opinion?

> The 1889 signatures may
> or may not be accurate as online petitions are not the most accurate
> manners of protest in the world. "Pending" class action suit in this
> case is a nice way of saying that some website threatened a class
> action law suit but there wasn't one.

They're in discussion with several lawyer.

> Will Apple lose out over this, yes. Sadly. However, your comparisons to
> "many PC companies" are not very accurate lacking any specifics. Had
> Apple admitted the problem without a solution you and others would have
> cried out about how they don't have a fix for you.

I would have complained about there not being a fix, but at least they would
have been dishonest.

> Its amazing, Dell has servers in the field right now that start on
> fire. Let me say that again, they start on fire. I have seen one news
> article about it in CNet I believe.

Well, like most things Apple has claim to that first. Remember the PB5300
battery fire problems?

> Dell says they don't feel its a big
> problem. I don't see anyone raising an issue about the possibility of
> fires starting in server rooms in office buildings.

You're probably not looking hard enough.

> Here Apple has said if you paid to get it repaired, now that we have
> figured out the problem and a solution we will even reimburse you. And
> that isn't good enough for some people. Find me another computer
> manufacturer who is doing that.

Falcon Northwest and Voodoo PC off hand. That's all fine and good. But they
shouldn't have said beforehand that there weren't any known issues when
there obviously were. Their dishonesty bugs me the most.

> The fact is, Apple customers, Apple critics, and the industry at large
> is harder on Apple than anyone is on the competition, people have
> learned to expect hardware incompatibilities in the PC world, they have
> learned to expect faulty parts from some PC manufacturers [anyone know
> of people who just LOVE eMachines?],

Well actually I do know one person, but that's nitpicking.

> they have learned to accept
> viruses, security problems, data loss, etc ... from MS products. When
> Apple has a problem is all over the place and its a reason everyone
> should stop buying from them. When someone else has a problem, eh it
> happens. That attitude is simply wrong.

Not really. Apple claims not to have the problems, but they're there anyway.
Microsoft and PC manufacturers don't make any false claims.

> You are going to stop buying from Apple because of this matter you say
> as the pinnacle of problems which have happened to people you know.

That, and I like PCs better in general, but that's another issue which I
won't get into.

> How
> many people you know who use PCs, and how many have had a problem at
> least as bad as a bad CD-ROM drive?

Now, you're just focusing on a minor issue. But I've never had any piece of
hardware in my PC go bad. I can't think of anyone who's had any problems
either. With the exception of a printer going bad, but it was fixed with a
new cartridge :)

> I am not sure what vendor or
> platform you have for an alternative, if you are looking for someone
> who puts out a better product or a more reliable product or supports
> their product better ... you will have a hard time.

No I won't. Falcon Northwest, Voodoo PC, Hypersonic PC. And several more
that I can't think of but I could find with a search on some message boards.

> Apple obviously makes mistakes and I am very happy they have put
> something out [at their expense] to fix this problem for people because
> their customers should not have to pay to fix their design flaw.
> However, I don't know of anyone as good let alone better to buy from.

I'm glad that they're fixing the problem, but that still isn't going to help
the fact that they lied about the problem until now.

> Thats about the extent of my feelings on the matter.

Probably not mine. But this is getting a bit off topic (I know I'm partly
responsible) as we're hardly talking about the iBook anymore.

Robin Ashe