At 4:22 AM +0200 2/6/04, Jalmari Raippalinna wrote:
Hi,

I just bought (not paid yet) for testing a used G3/400 Pismo which is known
to have a faulty battery (usetime max 30min) for about 250USD.

Anyways, even without battery connected, if PB is shaked a bit back and
forth, screen may go black and does not seem to recover no matter what,
system seems to stay up anyways though.. Any ideas where this glitch might
be, as this PB is such cheap that if i figure out the bad connection its
going to be worth the work.

I've had it happen on a couple of PowerBooks. It's caused by the battery contacts momentarily breaking contact. The computer looses power so briefly that it doesn't go into power down but it does completely interrupt the processor. The only way out is to restart.

I've found two things that will help. One is to use two batteries if possible. The chance of both batteries loosing contact simultaneously is low. One problem with this of course is that if you are on battery, at some point the first battery is going to be run down. But it probably still has enough power to keep the computer running if the second battery looses connection briefly.

The other fix is to put something either in the battery bay or on the battery that makes for a tight fit so it can't bounce around. This appears to be a known problem to Apple as I've seen a repair procedure from them. I've used a couple of layers of electrical tape on the battery to do the trick. But you have to strike a good balance between keeping the battery secure but stil allowing it to slide out.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA