20040210
First thing to do is take it back to the store and ask for a replacement
(they're usually more willing to replace than refund). If that doesn't work
then you could try finding a program to low-level it. I don't know of any
such programs on the Mac but if you have a friend with a PC then a program
like Max LLF would do the trick.