before even getting started - "v3.2" is not a proper version number for Panther. while
we can all read this and figure out what you're talking about, using incorrect version
numbers makes it hard for other people to search the archives if they're plugging in
"10.3.2 and network", your post (and, following that, the solution) will not be
presented as a result. Please use proper version numbers in the future.

getting back to our regularly scheduled programming....

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004, at 01:53PM, Jim Scolman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>...one iMac, OS 9.2 configured to dialup the Internet.
[...]
>One Psimo, Panther, v3.2, configured to dialup the Internet.
[...]
>When the Psimo was OS 9.2.2, I could connect to the iMac via ethernet,
>no problem, now with Panther, the only change to the mix, I cannot
>connect to the iMac now....... I can ping it, but not "See" from the
>Pismo/Panther.  From the iMac I can see the Pismo, but cannot connect.
>Both machines have File Sharing turned on, both have AppleTalk active.
>My questions are these; "Should" they be able to connect via AppleTalk
>with no other changes?  Do they each need a manually configured TCP/IP
>address?  I have tried using the machine names, I have tried using the
>afp://xxx.xxx.xxx format, all to no avail.  I have tried a manual IP
>setup on both machine, this is how I can ping the iMac from the Pismo.
>I would really appreciate the wise council of the List.  Thank you all,
>Jim.

a connection from OS 9->OS X (or visa versa) isn't going to use AppleTalk except
perhaps to show you which machines are around. by entering afp://w.x.y.z/ you are
connecting via TCP/IP and taking AppleTalk completely out of the mix.

it sounds like the dial up connections are thwarting your setup somehow. in Network on
the Panther machine, try making sure under "Network Port Configurations" that Ethernet
is at the top of the list - some server daemons (like the file sharing daemon) don't
like to accept incoming connections on secondary ports. putting ethernet at the top
makes it the primary. restart File Sharing (or, to be safe, the Mac) and all might
well be well. hopefully.