On 10/02/04 14:53, "Jim Scolman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello All, I am a recent upgrade to Panther v3.2 and my local network
> does not function, now.  Here's the setup, one iMac, OS 9.2 configured
> to dialup the Internet.  One Psimo, Panther, v3.2, configured to dialup
> the Internet.  My LAN consists of these two Macs, one Win2KPro, and one
> ethernet switch.  In all that follows the Win2KPro machine is OFF.
> When the Psimo was OS 9.2.2, I could connect to the iMac via ethernet,
> no problem, now with Panther, the only change to the mix, I cannot
> connect to the iMac now....... I can ping it, but not "See" from the
> Pismo/Panther.  From the iMac I can see the Pismo, but cannot connect.
> Both machines have File Sharing turned on, both have AppleTalk active.
> My questions are these; "Should" they be able to connect via AppleTalk
> with no other changes?  Do they each need a manually configured TCP/IP
> address?  I have tried using the machine names, I have tried using the
> afp://xxx.xxx.xxx format, all to no avail.  I have tried a manual IP
> setup on both machine, this is how I can ping the iMac from the Pismo.
> I would really appreciate the wise council of the List.  Thank you all,
> Jim.

Jim,

Your iMac should be able to access the Pismo and the Pismo the iMac. First
of all, did you turn on file sharing on both? Second, for the iMac to access
the Pismo through AppleTalk, you need to specifically turn on AppleTalk in
Directory Access, in /Applications/Utilities. Until OS 9, AppleShare would
only work on the AppleTalk protocol, which doesn't require any IP address.
However, for some reason, AppleTalk is turned off by default in 10.3. That's
what "Directory Access" is for (among other things). This will permit the
Pismo to sell its sharing stuff over AppleTalk.

Now, if you want to access other AppleTalk-based AppleShare servers (like
your iMac) from the Pismo, you also have to make sure that AppleTalk is
turned on in your current network location, in System Preferences.

Then, on the iMac, make sure that AppleTalk is turned on and configured to
use Ethernet.

-Laurent.