Gianfranco:

It's really easy! All that's needed is the appropriate Airport cards for each computer. Note that the iMac will also require a special holder for the card, and either Small Dog Electronics (list-sponsor--yay!) or Other World Computing, or any other mail-order firm that is wise to Macintosh can reaffirm exactly which card and adapter is needed for the two Macs.

After installing the Airport cards into the laptop and the iMac (which is easy to do yourself), then you use the iMac's modem to dial up the internet. Then you use the built-in Airport Software to establish a "Software Base Station", which lets the iMac itself be the base station! Then all you need to do is join the wireless net with the laptop! Yes, you can also do filesharing and local-area-networking over this wireless arrangement (whether or not you've dialed up the internet). The only drawback to this is that whenever you want to go online with the laptop, you must have the iMac on and connected to the internet.

In my case, my DSL line comes in the house at an inconvenient place, so I just have an Airport base station there, and use the iMac and powerbook elsewhere in the house. One or both. So long as the base station is on and active, regardless of whether it's plugged into the internet, I can still share files from one mac to the other.

Hope this helps!

--Jim.

gf sciacca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm new to networking and wireless and had this question posed by my
brother. He is on modem dial-up on his G3 iMac and wants to share the
connection wirelessly with a new 1GHz iBook he's just got. What does he
need there? Airport card on the iBook (not necessarily extreme, I guess,
or does the latest iBook take only extreme?) and what else?

 I guess the Airport base station with modem port will do the
 job, but I wonder if anything more economical is out there.

Could such a setup also serve for local networking of the two machines?

thanks for any tips, gianfranco