I've been having problems with my graphite AirPort Base Station. I had to
replace the 2 blown capacitors to make it work again. I'm not using it much
since it is much faster to use built-in Ethernet when moving large files
between my PowerBook and my Blue & White (both at 100Mbps).

Last weekend, I had to temporary move to a different room with my Pismo. I
then realized that I was unable to connect to my ABS.

I did disassemble it to see if something was wrong from my repair or
otherwise. Didn't find anything. I tried using another Wavelan card in it to
no avail.

Then, by pure coincidence, I found out that if I would put it within 2 feet
of my Pismo, I was able to connect to it. Moving the base station a couple
of feet and I would lose the signal completely. Using Internet Connect and
KisMAC, I did monitor the signal while moving it out and in both software,
the signal drops to nothing all of a sudden.

I then proceeded to open my Pismo to check my internal AirPort card. I did
unplug the internal antenna. Everything seems to be fine.

Is it possible that the internal antenna wire has been broken up, resulting
in that bad reception? I haven't been rough or anything with my Pismo,
taking it to work every day but that's pretty much it. Although, a couple of
months ago, I had to reseat the processor daughtercard. The base station is
sitting where it has always been sitting. There are no new phone or anything
that could cause interference.

So, did anybody ever experience something like this?

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs
can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of
the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers.
In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from
evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small
handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population --
and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately,
because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management,
they are generally ignored.