That is true for some companies but this is why you want to call Applecare and maybe also check their website for international coverage information. It looks like they do have a number for Applecare in Korea so I am assuming they would cover it there.

Do not assume anything You better be sure and call Apple Care and have them send you a letter saying you will have coverage even in Korea or if you travel to Korea. If you do not, you may have provided them a wiggle hole out of the repairs.

Apple Care has become IMHO and by my experience very bad at customer relations. ie., the logic boards in the iBooks built between 2002 to 2003. These people complained, wrote Apple about the problems and suffered for years with crummy built computers or had to pay for repairs to get it done right. Now Apple has come around and is replacing the logic boards of these iBooks, under threat of law suit. Not the warm Apple I used to know.
My experience a Pismo with 4 months left on Apple Care. When I called to set up a shipping date, the first thing the Apple Care guy said was, we do not cover spilled liquids in power books. Yes of course, but no liquid was spilled in this Pismo, he said I just have to make that clear..
Sent it in and they said, guess what:

Apple says a liquid sometime in the last 6 months was spilled into the power book, it's not covered, we will fix it but will cost you $1,000.00 to have us fix it. I went right to the top of Apple Care. Gwendlyne Wells head of Apple World wide Customer Care. She was rude and rather crude. She should care less and actually lied about things they had done to another computer I sent in at a week before not covered and I had paid for those repairs.. Except the lies fell through because the techs left little bar codes on the parts they claim they never touched..

So on a lap top get it, even a iMac I probably would as the quality of the products are getting cheaper to keep prices down. Just make sure you get in writing what they say on the phone. The usually send out a welcome to Apple Care letter with your machines ID and your Apple Care Number.
Good luck
Geoff