[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I've got the majority of it done, just waiting for
>the epoxy to set. I'm a little nervous about the hinges. I'd love to get the
>skinny right from Apple as to how they do it.

I've wondered what sort of adhesive Apple used in the TiBooks as I
currently have a pair of disassembled TiBooks and would like to shtick
'em back together again. Recently I stumbled across some relevant info in
one of Apple's patents, "patent number 6,574,096 - Use of titanium in a
notebook computer".

It's got lots of details on the TiBook's design and construction, plus it
has interesting 'discussions' about Ti glue - go down about 2/3 of this
page (or just repeatedly search the page for 'glue'):
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netah
tml/search-adv.htm&r=80&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&s1=apple.ASNM.&p=2&OS=AN/apple&RS=A
N/apple>

>From the above page:

"Virtually any type of glue suitable for bonding injection molded
materials to titanium or titanium alloys may be used. An exemplary glue
suitable for use in various embodiments of the present invention is
Lord's glue 201/19 manufactured by the Lord Corporation of Cary, N.C."

Here's on Lord Corporation's web site is their "Engineered Adhesives"
page:
<http://www.lord.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=520>

I had a heck of a time finding just what sort of glue is '201/19', but
eventually found infos in this doc:
<http://literature.lord.com/root/other/Metal_Bonding_Selector_Guide.pdf>

ACRYLIC ADHESIVES - LORD 201/19
Applications - Bare metals, plastics and composites
Working Time - 5-8 minutes
Handling Time - Fast, 12-16 minutes
Full Strength - 2 hours, heat cure typically not recommended
Easy to dispense, Self-leveling
Comments - Minimal surface preparation, fast cure, good environmental
resistance.

Now I just need to follow up and find a source from whom I can actually
purchase some of this stuff . . .

Scott, can you tell us what sort of epoxy you used? And how it seemed to
work? I was concerned that many epoxies are brittle, and so maybe not
good for a device that gets so much handling. Not that I know much about
epoxies, or the above mentioned "ACRYLIC ADHESIVE" either . . .

hth,

Dan K

PS: for a search that calls up all of Apple's patents, an interesting
adventure in its own right:
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnet
ahtml%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&RS=AN%2Fapple&Query=AN%2Fapple&P
revList1=Prev.+50+Hits&TD=1757&Srch1=apple.ASNM.>

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500