On Mar 20, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Andrew Kershaw wrote:

Why would you ever want to install Linux on a Mac when OS X is the best personal Unix ever?

Who cares _why_ he wants to use Linux?! Sorry, but answers like that really get under my skin.

There are plenty of reasons why a person might want to use Linux instead of OS X. Cost might be one of them (Linux is "free", OS X costs $130). System resources are another. Heaven forbid that someone might NOT actually LIKE Aqua/OS X! Or someone might LIKE Linux! But why make this person defend his question like that? It's perfectly reasonable to want to run Linux on a Mac, regardless of whatever bias you may hold against it.

I put YDL on my Wallstreet, and it ran fine. Shortly after that, I got into software development in OS 9, and eventually uninstalled Linux to reclaim that hard disk space. A Pismo should be easy(ish) to set up, and it should run YDL like a champ. There is no version of iTunes for Linux, but I'm certain that there's no shortage of MP3 players. Some might even allow you to synch up a hardware MP3 player (though probably not as gracefully as iTunes handles the iPod).

Fascinatingly, there is a version of Linux that will run on the iPod... ;-)
<http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml>

I'm in agreement that there is nothing wrong with wanting to put Linux on Apple hardware... As a recent convert to Macintosh from Linux, I was planning on dual-booting my new powerbook but liked OS X enough that I decided against it - I'll lug my old Thinkpad around if I need to do anything that I need Linux for that I can't do on this laptop (mostly network stuff). I love OS X, but I also love Linux (Gentoo is my flavor of choice) and I don't see myself stopping use of it anytime soon...

Check out GTK-Pod. A friend of mine uses that to sync music to his I-Pod using his Sony VAIO laptop running Mandrake Linux. I think he just uses XMMS to listen to the MP3's, and there are lots of options for ripping your CDs. I used to use Grip, which is a graphical front end to some various command line utilities that are used to rip then encode into mp3.

Cheers

--
joe sleeper
Macintosh OS X - Because it was easier to make Unix user-friendly than it was to fix Windows.