Last week my Pismo 500 failed to boot up from the system disk. Apple Tech
diagnosed the problem as a bad DVD-ROM. I ordered a replacement Combo drive
(Matsushita CW8123-B) and everything was fine -- for 24 hours. Today I put
in a CD to rip to iTunes and got a sound like a jet taking off. Computer
crashed hard. Upon attempting to reset, got the same set of symptoms as
before -- no chime, momentary flash of screen before going back to black,
inability to start with Apple-Option-F-O sequence to reset parameters, etc.
Now the best I can manage is a screen frozen on a smiling mac, whether I try
to boot from the CD or the hard drive.
Did I get lucky and buy a defective drive?
Or do I have a processor board problem or some other hardware issue?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

cwr