cwr said:

Now the best I can manage is a screen frozen on a smiling mac, whether I try
to boot from the CD or the hard drive.
Did I get lucky and buy a defective drive?
Or do I have a processor board problem or some other hardware issue?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I would try to start the Pismo without the DVD and see if it works, that will at least help to eliminate one point of contention.

Hector I. Macedo "Lord of the Flies"
Dallas, TX 75248

"Piscaro Itaque dicet mendacium"