It sounds like the cold-cathode (fluorescent lamp) or the lamp power supply is out. You'll have to figure out how to open up the display housing. Be careful, the voltage from the lamp driver can fry your voltmeter. If you want to measure it, build a resistive attenuator out of a 100 meg and 1 meg resistor.