On 31/03/04 10:00, "Seeker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> If you're throwing other users in the mix, then it will add another level of
>> complexity, plus the added problem of permissions. Even if you are the
>> administrator, you don't have access to some folders of the other users.
>> It's hard to synchronize the content of a folder when you don't have access
>> to it. Sure, you could enable the root user, but if you synchronize folders
>> to which you usually don't have access to, you need to be careful not to end
>> up with a lot of scattered files that are owned by root and are not
>> accessible by regular users. You might have another nightmare to restore the
>> original permissions on the copies.
>
> Laurent -
>
>   This is very interesting.  I have a desktop G3 and a G3 Dual-USB iBook.
>
>   If I work on a file on one computer and would like to move that changed
> file to the other computer, what would you recommend as the best way to do
> so or would you totally recommend against it???

If the copy on the other computer has not changed, then you can just copy
the file over, through file sharing or other connection means. When you have
a few files, it's relatively easy to manage. When you have more files, or
when you start modifying some files on the other computer, that's when it's
getting tricky.

So, since I am using mostly a laptop but I also have a desktop, I came upon
that kind of complexity at some point shortly after OS X came out. I had
some files on my laptop like my Office identity that was residing on my
laptop and I wanted to share it with my desktop, so that I could use my more
powerful desktop Mac to read my emails. Same for my bookmarks. I then
checked what was available for synchronization. The offerings were whether
too expensive or cumbersome to use.

So, <shameless plug> I ended up writing my own synchronization app. You can
learn more from <http://nemesys.dyndns.org/FileSynchronization_EN.html>.
</shameless plug>!

-Laurent.