Stanton, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>I've been sent links to
>instructions which involve taking the entire top of the computer off,
>including the keyboard, heat shield, modem, processor with RAM, HD, then the
>lid with the monitor, and then finally the bottom of the computer,
>including, seemingly, all the rest of the removeable components in the
>chassis, just to get to the backup, or clock battery.
>
>Are all these steps REALLY necessary?

Yes, they are all necessary, except for the bottom, as the backup battery
is just right of the trackpad and all of what you mention is in the way
of you successfully getting to it.
Be very careful, make sure you get out all the screws and keep track of
where they belong, and be gently determined when you open your powerbook,
wear a earthing device and use a Torx-8, small cross screwdriver and
nonleading flat tool like a "nylon blade tool" (anyone know where these
can be bought?), eating sticks, or certain plastic devices you clean
under your nails with, and you'll be OK.